Sunday, June 24, 2012

Finished Dining Space!

When I started renting a cute little historic bungalow last year I was incredibly excited for a number of reasons but reason number 1 was and still is that I would finally have a proper sized dining room!  You see, I had scored a great table with two leaves and 6 chairs at a Salvation Army thrift store ten months prior for a grand total of $50 but sadly it had to sit in the garage as my then dining room could not accommodate it. The new dining room (pictured below) not only could easily fit the table but it also came with its own perfect window seat as well!


Obviously for $50 the table wasn't quite my style but with a little ASCP and some left over fabric from some of the Fiber & Fire projects I couldn't wait to transform the space into my own little rustic yet feminine eating space.  How does rustic even become feminine?  Oh, yea, add lace and pretty flowers!

The table before in all of its 1980s glory!

And they say florals are always in style, HA!


 I had some left over dark walnut stain (minwax) from an earlier chair project and it ended up being just enough to stain the top of the table and the top of the french buffet to match.  After multiple coats of staining, protecting and waiting a couple days I got to the actual painting.  The above picture shows one coat of the ASCP and a dry brush.  I seriously debated leaving it as so but ultimately came back with a second coat.


The 1980s floral upholstery was updated with some french script.  I really wanted to upholster the seats in old grain feed sacks but I already had plenty of the script fabric lying around and it has such a soft hand finish I figured guests would prefer sitting on the chairs finished in this fabric.  So, after all that I just added a few finishing details and viola!

The dining room today!

Burlap, lace and flowers.



details
 I honestly LOVE my new dining space.  There are a few things I compromised on such as I wanted a thinner jute rug with a contrasting binding but considering the best deal I found on those were for $120 and this rug found its way to Ross for only $20 I figured it was a compromise my pocketbook would greatly appreciate I make!  Between the dining set redo and the buffet makeover (you can read about it here) I think I'll take a break from obsessing over this room and move onto a quilt project or two!  ;)

-Andrea
*Sharing over at Sundae Scoop,  Nifty Thrifty & MMS

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful update to that set. Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stopping by from Miss Mustard Seeds Furniture Feature Fridays.
    This is a gorgeous room to dine and entertain.
    You have done a fabulous recycle. You've given it new life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you on Better After and I LOVE what you did with the dining set. Love it. Fabulous redo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great shop and I thought and thought before commiting on the table and chairs I just did...love your look and I love bungalows....check out the table and chairs I did...more cottage chic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Where did you find that fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing transformation love love lOve the table
    Great job

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a similar set at a second-hand store. I normally would have passed it over without a second glance. After seeing this makeover, I am definitely going to try my hand at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A $50 dining set? What a score! As they say, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Good thing you kept this one in good condition. It looks really nice, especially after it was revamped. The table looks elegant and the chairs are lovely. The fabric you used for the cover seat is very interesting and exquisite. I bet your guests read them first before taking a seat! :-)[Allie Carrillo]

    ReplyDelete