Sunday, January 2, 2011

My New Old Chair

Many months ago my mom came across this chair on Craigslist for only $30 in AZ and asked if she should pick it up.


At the time we were waist deep in furniture preparing for a show and one more chair made little difference to me so I told her it was her decision and forgot about it. Fast forward to October and I'm staring at this sad little corner in my living room from my newly, perfect slip covered couch and thinking man that chair my mom saw would be so perfect in that spot why didn't I tell her to jump on it?! I became obsessed and scoured KSL every few hours hoping to find a tall chair with cane accents as perfect as that one. No luck, of course. However, magic struck when my mom emailed me a million photos a couple weeks later of furniture we had to sort through yet and redo for our next show. I clicked on a chair labeled "wood center piece" and saw the chair she asked me about so long ago! She had bought it!! I called her up and said that one is MINE don't even think about touching it! We finished the chair just in time for Christmas and visitors and I am absolutely in LOVE with it.




I like everything about this chair, the height, the cane sides (no damage), and the perfect imperfect white paint. The chair was in really great condition and to be honest there was no reason to paint such perfect wood other than my own desire for a white chair. Overall this chair was an absolute steal as well. Cost breakdown:

$30 Chair

$0 paint (white paint on hand)

$37.50 fabric (2.5 yards)

1 beautiful all mine chair $67.50

I'll admit we lived on the wild side when it came to only purchasing 2.5 yards of fabric, with all that double welting we ended up with one little 18'' square left (perfect future pillow size!) and could have easily been in trouble if a mistake was made but I count on my mothers perfectionist spirit to save us from those disasters! :)

Linkin' up and makin' friends at DIY Showoff, Thrifty Decor Chick, MM, SewChatty, MMS & SNS

-Andrea

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this chair! Your color choices are great! I wish I had an ounce of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lines and height of this chair! Double welting scares me. You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's really gorgeous! Makes me crave springtime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chair has left me breathless! It's so gorgeous.
    Can you tell me how you make your double welting please? I love the finish it gives a piece. I am guessing you have a double welting foot for your machine??? I have tried in vain to make some but so far have been unsuccessful. I have only been able to find a single welting foot which I had to get sent from the US to Australia. Ay advice would be much appreciated.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I LOVE the fabric you chose and the lines of the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! You did such a great job! The colors are perfect. Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday. I host every week. I am leaving the party open longer this week so that people can link up multiple projects if they wish to. Hope to see you there! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with that chair!!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great before and after. I love the fabric you chose. I'd love to have you submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Beautiful chair that would not be quite the same without the white paint...great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. found from funky junk interiors link party. great redo. I love your color choices. so bright and cheery! thanks for sharing.
    www.acreativemomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete